Research and Publications
Research-related Field Experiences
• Member of the Ethics Review Board of MSF (December 2020 – present)
• Qualitative research (interviewer, focus groups facilitator, and trainer of research
assistants) on the ethical issues related to the conduct of research on humans during the armed conflict in Darfur, west Sudan (2014-2015)
• Member of the Government of Sudan-United Nations Joint Assessment Mission (GOS -UN JAM) to assess the humanitarian gap in Darfur following the expulsion of 13 INGOs, West Darfur, 2009
• Primary Health Care Officer, WHO, Nyala Sub office, South Darfur State, Sudan (April-June 2006)
• Federal Supervisor and State Manager, Sudan Household Health Survey, South Darfur State (February – April 2006)
• Field supervisor and data enterer (EPI info V.3.2 &V.6.1), Crude Mortality Survey (May-June 2005), World Health Organization (WHO), North Darfur State, West Sudan
• The National Health Policy Forum, FMOH, Sudan (2008-2009)
• Team leader of the National Research Ethics Training Core Group (Sudan, July 08-2012).
• Assistant secretary of the National Research Ethical and Technical Review Committees, Sudan (June 2004June 2009)
• Co-Founding Member of the Primary Scientific and Ethical Review Committee, Dept. of Research, Federal Ministry of Health, Sudan (July ‘08-June 2009)
• Trainer on research ethics, clinical ethics, and public health ethics at King Fahd Medical City, Riyadh, KSA (2010 – present)
• Facilitator on Knowledge Management cycle and Research Skills, FMOH & Soba Teaching Hospital (2015)
• Facilitator on Evidence-Informed Policy Workshop, Policy Unit, FMOH, Sudan (2009)
• National Trainer on Research Ethics, Research Dept., FMOH, Sudan (June ’08-present)
• Research and Technical Advisor, Dengue Fever Control Program, Jeddah, KSA (Sep.’06 –May 07)
Grants and Publications
Grant from Wellcome Trust for PhD Studentship in Humanities &Social Sciences (2012). Grant Ref. 099385/Z/12/Z .
- Alsomali, Nimah, and Ghaiath Hussein. “CRISPR-Cas9 and He Jiankui’s Case: an Islamic Bioethics Review using Maqasid al-Shari’a and Qawaid Fighiyyah.” Asian Bioethics Review 13.2 (2021): 149-165.
- Iqbal, S., Akkour, K., Bano, B., Hussein, G., Elhelow, M. K. K. A., Al-Mutairi, A. M., & Aljasim, B. S. K. L. (2021). Awareness about Vulvovaginal Aesthetics Procedures among Medical Students and Health Professionals in Saudi Arabia. Revista Brasileira de Ginecologia e Obstetrícia, 43, 178-184.
- Almansour M, Abanemai N, Alhusayni S, Alatiyah F, Alharbi R, Hussein G. Perception of Attendees of Primary Healthcare Centers in Al-Majmaah City, Saudi Arabia About Skin Manifestations of Diabetes Mellitus. J Res Med Dent Sci. 2020;8:43–50. https://www.jrmds.in/articles/perception-of-attendees-of-primary-healthcare-centers-in-almajmaah-city-saudi-arabia-about-skin-manifestations-of-diabetes-mellitu-54410.html.
- Hussein G, Elmusharaf K. Mention of ethical review and informed consent in the reports of research undertaken during the armed conflict in Darfur (2004–2012): a systematic review. BMC Med Ethics. 2019;20:40. doi:10.1186/s12910-019-0377-7.
- Hussein GM. When Ethics Survive Where People Do Not. Public Health Ethics (2010) 3(1): 7277, March 18, 2010 doi:10.1093/phe/phq00
- Hussein G. The Sudan Experience, J Acad Ethics (2008) 6:289–293. URL: http://www.springerlink.com/index/g1540u04773716vk.pdf
- Hussein GMA. Democracy: the forgotten challenge for bioethics in the developing countries, BMC Medical Ethics 10 (2009) 3. URL: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6939/10/3
- G.M.A. Hussein (2011). (A119) Ethical Issues in the Review and Conduct of Research during Active Conflicts: Reflections from Darfur, West Sudan. Prehospital and Disaster Medicine, 26 , pp s33-s34 doi:10.1017/S1049023X11001208
- Al-Kaabba, A. F., Hussein, G. M., Al-Qumaizi, K. I., Al-Rashed, W., Kasule, O. H., Alosaimi, F. et al. (2016). Disclosing Medical Errors in Tertiary Hospitals in Saudi Arabia: Cross-Sectional Questionnaire Study. IJASM, 3(2), 75-83
- AlKabba, A., Hussein, G., Kasule, O., Jarallah, J., Alrukban, M., & Alrashid, A. 2013, “Teaching and evaluation methods of medical ethics in the Saudi public medical colleges: cross-sectional questionnaire study”, BMC Medical Education, vol. 13, no. 1, p. 122
- AlKabba AF, Hussein GM, Albar AA, Bahnassy AA, Qadi M. The major medical ethical challenges facing the public and healthcare providers in Saudi Arabia. J Fam Community Med 2012; 19:1-6.
- AlKabba A, Hussein GM. Democratization of medical education is needed for effective teaching of bioethics. J Med Liban 2011; 59 (1).
- HUSSEIN, G. 2015. Translator’s Preface. In: CRISERA, V. (ed.) Code of Ethics for Healthcare Practitioners. Riyadh: The Saudi Commission for Health Specialties.
- Hussein, G., & Upshur, R. E. (2013). Ethical challenges in global health research. An introduction to global health ethics, 103-147. Eds. Ross E.G. Upshur and Andrew D. Pinto. Publisher: Routledge (Taylor and Francis Group; 2012)
- Chapter on “Ethical review of non-national (international) research conducted in less developed countries” to Fogarty International Center – supported curriculum developed by the Joint Center for Bioethics, Toronto (2012)
- Co-editor and main contributor to “Professionalism & Ethics Education for Residents Handbook: A Practical Guide on Ethics for Residents” Eds. James Ware and G. M. Hussein. 1st edition, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia: Saudi Commission for Health Specialties, 2014. I have written the following chapters:
- Introduction to Medical Ethics
- Principles of Western & Islamic Approaches to Bioethics
- Doctor’s Professional Relationships and Duties
- Truth Telling and Breaking Bad News
- Privacy & Confidentiality
- Allocation of Resources in Healthcare
- How to resolve ethical issues in clinical practice?
- A contributor to the following modules in the “WHO Training Manual on Ethical issues in Research and surveillance: Epidemics, Pandemics and Public Health Crisis”’. Ed. Philippe Calain, WHO (Geneva);
- Learning objective 1.3: Demonstrate understanding of the ethical principles and requirements addressed in current normative instruments relative to research and surveillance in emergencies.
- Learning objective 1.4: Identify the shortcomings of current normative instruments for use in emergency situations, and evaluate alternatives.
- Learning objective 3.3: Evaluate the measures required to protect privacy and confidentiality in an emergency.
- Report of the ‘Gov. of Sudan-United-Nations Joint Assessment Mission (GOS/UN-JAM) in Darfur, March 09 .
- Co-author of the Private-Public Partnership Policy Report, FMOH-Sudan, 2009
- Technical report on the Sudan Household Health Survey in south Darfur state, 2006, which was awarded as the best technical report among the 25 states of Sudan at the time.
- Editor and Course Director of the National Research Ethics Curriculum Sudan)
Guidelines and Policies
- The King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST) Guidelines for Research in
Epidemics/Pandemics and Emergencies, KSA (2020).
- Translator of the Saudi Code of Ethics for Healthcare Providers (2014)
- The Founding Document of the Arab Bioethics Network for Women’s Health and Research, UNESCO, 2012
- The Strategic Document for the establishment of the Arab Bioethics Society, co-edited by Thalia Arawi (2011)
- Criteria for Accreditation for the Research Ethics Review Bodies (ERBs) Working in Sudan (2011)
- Co-editor and translator of the National Ethical Guidelines of Research Involving Humans. Research Directorate, Sudan (2006-2009)
- Co-Editor of the National Training Manual for Research Ethics in Sudan (2010)
- Co-author of the Clinical Guidelines of Case-Management and Reporting of Dengue Fever (Jeddah, MOH – Saudi Arabia, 2007)
- Dengue Notification and Sample Transport Guidelines for Hospitals in Jeddah (in Arabic, 2006)
JOURNAL PEER REVIEWER
I have peer-reviewed manuscripts submitted for the following journals:
Medicine, Law & Society Journal
Journal of Religion and Health
Indian Journal of Medical Ethics
BMC Medical Ethics
Review of European Studies
Journal of Family and Community Medicine
Journal of Public Health Ethics
International Journal of Nursing Practice